INDIANAPOLIS (December 15, 2021)
– The Hoosier Lottery has once again received the highest level of distinction for responsible gaming by the World Lottery Association. The Hoosier Lottery originally received Level 4 Certification in 2015 by the international organization. The renewed certification is valid through 2024.
The World Lottery Association serves the interests of 152 state lotteries in 80 countries and six continents. Their principles acknowledge that gaming operators, among others, play an important role in helping to prevent problem gambling, and ensure funds are generated for good causes.
“We are committed to operating in a socially responsible manner in all we do,” said Sarah M. Taylor, executive director of the Hoosier Lottery. “Decisions surrounding games, marketing and advertising all involve best practices of responsible gaming. Our entire team’s efforts to implement our comprehensive program earned us this Level 4 recertification and I am so proud of each employee.”
The World Lottery Association Level 4 recertification process occurs every three years and includes providing a clear responsible gaming strategy for the next three years.
Level 4 Certification is earned by lotteries that integrate responsible gaming into day-to-day operations and demonstrate continuous improvement in responsible gaming programs. The World Lottery Association Responsible Gaming Framework consists of four levels of achievement and 10 Program elements (nine apply to Hoosier Lottery). It outlines how lotteries can demonstrate their level of commitment to the WLA Responsible Gaming Principles.
The nine Program Elements of the Responsible Gaming Framework include:
- Employee Program
- Retailer Program
- Game Design
- Advertising and Marketing Communications
- Player Education
- Treatment Referral
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Reporting and Measurement
The Hoosier Lottery has outlined further responsible gaming opportunities under the Positive Play branding, and provided 43 commitments including:
- Interactive mystery shopping program;
- Creation of a statewide gaming operator responsible gaming committee;
- Updating financial literacy educational tools for players and winners;
- Development of new Positive Play tools each year to enhance our responsible gaming player education;
- Optimizing our grant program to enhance problem gambling research and professional development with better access to funds for applicants as well as heightened awareness through HoosierLottery.com and social media.
Lotteries who apply for this certification must go through a rigorous application process that includes extensive planning, program reflection and evaluation. The Hoosier Lottery submission included input from dozens of internal and external stakeholders, including the Indiana Council on Problem Gambling and the International Center for Responsible Gaming, and other lottery benchmarking. The application was then reviewed by an independent third-party assessor and the World Lottery Association's independent assessment panel comprised of international experts in corporate social responsibility.
"The Hoosier Lottery should be commended on their process to ensure that their products are designed to appeal to those over 18 years old in a socially responsible way," said Christina Gray, executive director of the Indiana Council on Problem Gambling.
Must be 18 or older to play. Please play responsibly. Problem Gambling Helpline: 1-800-994-8448.