Effective February 19, 2020
I. Introduction and definitions
If you find our privacy policies or any changes to this Policy unacceptable, you have the right to delete your myLOTTERY account, discontinue visiting www.hoosierlottery.com, uninstall our mobile app and otherwise stop or limit your electronic interactions with us.
When we use the terms “we”, “us” or “our” in this Policy, we mean the Hoosier Lottery. The terms “user”, “you” or “your” refer to you as a person who interacts with the Hoosier Lottery and may provide data or information to us.
When we use the term “Personal Information" in this Policy, we mean information about a natural person that identifies that person, including the following:
- first and last name;
- home or other physical address, including street name and name of a city or town;
- email address;
- telephone number;
- other identifier that permits the physical or online contact of a natural person; and
- information concerning a natural person that is collected online and maintained in personally identifiable form in combination with another identifier such as name or address.
A domain name, location, or Internet protocol address is not considered Personal Information.
II. What types of information do we collect from you?
We collect and use various types of information to optimize your Hoosier Lottery digital experience, to understand our digital users and lottery players, and to gather data for analysis so we can improve our digital features and product offering. We do not collect Personal Information that is not relevant to us in conducting our business. We may collect the following information from you:
- Information you choose to share: we collect and use information that you choose to share with us when you communicate with us or sign up for an interaction with us.
- Emails, Surveys & Electronic Newsletter Subscriptions: If you participate in a survey, send an email to us, or subscribe to an electronic newsletter, the Website will gather the following information, some of which may be considered Personal Information:
- The email address you use and contents of the email you send.
- Information volunteered in response to a survey.
- Other information required by or volunteered on the electronic newsletter subscription form.
- Social Media and RSS Feeds: If you “like,” follow the Hoosier Lottery, or otherwise contact the Hoosier Lottery via social media (e.g., Facebook or Twitter), or subscribe to the Hoosier Lottery via RSS feed by using the Website, the Website will collect the following information:
- The social media username you used (e.g., Facebook or Twitter username).
- The number of “likes”.
- The total number of subscribers to our RSS feeds (but will not track where you posted the feeds).
- Your Location information: We collect information about your location when you use our services, which helps us offer promotions and offers at Hoosier Lottery retailers, driving directions to Hoosier Lottery retailers, and retailers located near you.
- Your location can be determined with various degrees of accuracy by:
- IP address.
- Sensor data.
- Information about things near your device, such as Wi-Fi access points, cell towers, and Bluetooth-enabled devices.
- The types of location data we collect depend in part on your device and account settings. For example, you can turn your Android device’s location on or off using the device’s settings app.
- myLOTTERY: Registering for and using the myLOTTERY program will result in us collecting information specific to that registration and use, including the following:
- Registration of Personal Information
We collect the following Personal Information at initial registration. Some registration information may be optional; some information will be necessary for the creation and administration of a myLOTTERY account:
- Name (first, last).
- ZIP code.
- Email address.
- Password (self-selected).
- Telephone numbers.
- Voluntarily disclosed information: Once you have registered for a myLOTTERY account, we will provide you with opportunities to volunteer additional information (not Personal Information) including the following:
- Lottery-related preferences (e.g., favorite games).
- Communication-related preferences (e.g., frequency of emails containing winning numbers).
- Answers to occasional survey questions.
- If you use your myLOTTERY account to enter 2nd Chance promotions, the entry code or serial number(s) you use to enter a 2nd Chance promotion.
- Information obtained from myLOTTERY functions integrated into the Hoosier Lottery Mobile Convenience Application (“App”)
- The Hoosier Lottery has integrated myLOTTERY into the App.
- We collect Personal Information on myLOTTERY users from the App in addition to the Website.
- The information we collect on the App and how we use it will be similar to the Website and will comply with this Policy.
- Other information we receive: By visiting www.hoosierlottery.com (including browsing, viewing rules or winning numbers), we will automatically collect and store information about your visit, including the following:
- Technical information about the Internet protocol (“IP”) address, browser and operating system that you use. Location may also be identified via geo-filtering of the IP address.
- The date and time of your visit.
- Frequency and duration of your visits.
- The web pages or services you access on the Website.
- The website you visited prior to coming to www.hoosierlottery.com.
- The website you visited as you left www.hoosierlottery.com.
- Ad(s) that you clicked on to access www.hoosierlottery.com.
- If a sharing feature is used, the content shared from www.hoosierlottery.com, with whom content is shared, and where content is posted.
- If you download forms or other documents, the forms or documents that you downloaded.
- The name of the country in which your server is located.
We use various standard technologies to collect and store information, including cookies; pixel tags; local storage, such as browser web storage or application data caches; databases; and server logs.
- Online advertising (including, but not limited to, video, social, and native advertising): Online advertising will be used to advertise Hoosier Lottery products. We will track the number of clicks on ads for analytical and marketing purposes.
- Pixel Tags: A pixel tag is a type of technology placed on a website or within the body of an email for the purpose of tracking certain activity, such as views of a website or when an email is opened. Pixel tags are often used in combination with cookies.
- Browser Web Storage: Browser web storage enables websites to store data in a browser on a device. When used in "local storage" mode, it enables data to be stored across sessions. This makes data retrievable even after a browser has been closed and reopened. One technology that facilitates web storage is HTML 5.
- Application Data Cache: An application data cache is a data repository on a device. It can, for example, enable a web application to run without an internet connection and improve the performance of the application by enabling faster loading of content.
- Server Logs: Like most websites, our servers automatically record the page requests made when you visit our sites. These “server logs” typically include your web request, IP address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request, and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
III. How do we use your information?
We use the information we receive about you, including Personal Information, to conduct and enhance our business activities and our interactions with you. More specifically, we may use data and information that we receive about you to:
- Administer www.hoosierlottery.com and the myLOTTERY program and other player accounts.
- Send you requested information or respond to your questions.
- Confirm that you are eligible to play our games or participate in our promotions.
- Contact you for research and survey opportunities.
- Fulfill the specific purpose for which it was volunteered.
- Track use of www.hoosierlottery.com for internal research.
- Improve use of our digital services.
- Customize content for you.
- Notify you about promotions, special offers, etc.
- Provide relevant information to certain service providers in connection with our legitimate business purposes.
- Generate aggregate statistical studies and use the results for marketing and responsible gaming initiatives.
- With the assistance of third-party companies, use only non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your use of the Website or myLOTTERY in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you.
- Notify you about Hoosier Lottery retailer locations and retail promotions from collected location data.
- Protect and enforce our rights and property or the rights and property of others.
- Enforce this Policy.
- Fulfill certain obligations under law or regulation.
- Execute other legitimate business purposes.
While you are allowing us to collect, store, and use the information we receive about you, you always own your information. Integrity is important to us, which is why we do not use collected information for commercial marketing. We do not sell or rent your Personal Information to anyone.
We may provide certain information to contractors for research or other purposes, including but not limited to disclosing Website traffic information to improve the use of the Website to our users, ensuring compliance with contractual requirements for data use, and to help us with business activities such as fulfilling promotional prizes.These third parties are contractually required to use this information only for what is necessary to perform required functions.
We may ask for your consent to use your information in certain ways outside of our ordinary practices. If we do that, you will be given the opportunity to choose whether or not we use your information in this manner.
If you voluntarily provide information to us, you will be deemed to have consented to the collection and use of this information for the above-described purposes, subject to state and federal laws.
IV. When do we disclose your information?
We will not disclose Personal Information to others unless:
- you provide appropriate consent in advance of our disclosure; or
- we are permitted or required by law to disclose.
As part of winning prizes from the Hoosier Lottery, it is our policy to reserve the right to share and display some of your information on our website and social media pages. Claimants may have their first and last name, photo, hometown, and prize amount shared or displayed in these locations. Furthermore, we may be required by law to disclose your information. If a valid legal process, such as a subpoena, court order, or search warrant, requires us to disclose certain information, we will do so in accordance with applicable law. We will comply with laws and regulations regarding notice and opportunity for you to object to these required disclosures. If there is an opportunity for you to object to certain disclosures, it is up to you to object or take other action to prevent those disclosures.
V. How do we protect your information?
We take actions as necessary to prevent unauthorized access to your information by a person other than you or us. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural security measures for all information systems under our control so that information will not be lost, misused, or altered. For site security purposes and to ensure that our Internet services remain available to all users, the Hoosier Lottery uses software programs to monitor traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information or otherwise cause damage. In the event of authorized law enforcement investigations and pursuant to any required legal process, information from these sources may be used to help identify an individual.
If your Personal Information is protected by state or federal law, including the Indiana Access to Public Records Act, we will comply with that law and the rulings of a court or other judicial or quasi-judicial body in interpreting that law.
We cannot guarantee that these measures will prevent every unauthorized attempt to access, use, or disclose your information, including Personal Information.
VI. What access do you have to your information and what choices can you make about your information?
If you register for advanced services such as myLOTTERY functionality, you may disable your account or edit account information and communication preferences upon request, by emailing, phoning or faxing the Hoosier Lottery. Upon deactivation, please understand that, despite deactivation of an account online, state record retention laws may require the Hoosier Lottery to maintain information about your account.
VII. Additional policy considerations