Playing the Hoosier Lottery should be fun! And for most of us, it’s an exciting way to dream about winning big. But occasionally gambling can become a problem.
Usually, people are able to effectively set limits and play the lottery for the fun of it. But for about 3 percent of people, gambling can go too far, putting them and their families at financial and emotional risk.
These warning signs can signal gambling may be a problem:
- A preoccupation with gambling and being unable to stop.
- Bragging about gambling, exaggerating wins and minimizing losses.
- Feeling restless and irritable when not gambling.
- Gambling to win back money that’s been lost.
- Borrowing money for gambling.
- Lying to hide time spent gambling or having unpaid debts.
- Frequent unexplained absences.
- Losing work time because of gambling.
- Doing illegal things to get money for gambling.
- Jeopardizing relationships, jobs, and other important things by gambling.
If you think you or someone you love might have a problem with gambling, there are resources
to help. Call Indiana’s Problem Gambling Helpline at 1-800-994-8448