If you live in Indiana, you’re no stranger to open-wheel racing (seriously, Hoosiers and racing go together like summer and the State Fair!). And if you’ve ever watched the Indianapolis 500, Tony Kanaan is a name you’ve heard on countless occasions—and probably even cheered for.
When it comes to professional racing, friend of the Hoosier Lottery Tony Kanaan needs no introduction. The INDYCAR driver of over two decades is forever a fan favorite not just in Indiana, but throughout the racing world, boasting numerous championship titles including the 2004 INDYCAR series. He also went on to win the coveted Indianapolis 500 in 2013.
If you follow racing, chances are you already know all of this, along with the fact Kanaan retired from driving INDYCAR in May after his last race in the Indianapolis 500. Read on to see how well you know Tony off the track!
Did You Know
Are you a Tony Kanaan fan? Test your knowledge of the racing legend with these five off-the-track facts!
- His full name is Antoine Rizkallah Kanaan Filho. Tony Kanaan for short, TK for the fans!
- Racing professionally is a demanding task, so it’s no wonder that drivers often challenge their physical fitness off the track. When he’s not behind the wheel, Kanaan competes elsewhere—in Ironman triathlons. Last year, in the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii, he completed the 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike and 26.2-mile run in 12 hours and 39 minutes.
- Kanaan is a game show winner. He and four other drivers won an episode of Celebrity Family Feud in 2016.
- Originally from Brazil, Kanaan credits country music in helping him learn a new language. “That's how I learned how to speak English,” Kanaan said in an interview with Dave Calabro. “And when I first came here, I used to watch all day long… I used to watch CMT.” When it comes to country music, Kanaan is a big fan of singer Garth Brooks!
- We just had to throw in one race-related fact! Some of Kanaan’s race-day routines include always putting on his left shoe first and a lucky pair of underwear.
Tour Indy and Play Cash POP™ with Tony Kanaan
Want even more Tony Kanaan? Check out this Hoosier Lottery exclusive interview, where the racing legend takes us along for a ride to visit some of his favorite spots around Indianapolis (hint: there might be some racing involved) and his love of Cash POP, Hoosier Lottery's newest Draw game.
Have you played Cash POP yet? It’s simple, fun and you can win up to 5x a day! Get your ticket from a Hoosier Lottery retailer near you, and make sure you download the Hoosier Lottery app to be able to conveniently scan your ticket to see if you’re a winner!
For more Cash POP content, take our Cash POP Drawing Personality Quiz to see what drawing time your personality aligns with. Learn more about the game and how to play on the Hoosier Lottery YouTube channel.
Cash POP™ odds vary by player selection. Cash POP is a trademark of IGT.