Retailer Responsible Gaming
The Hoosier Lottery understands the relationship retailers have with lottery customers. Because of that relationship retailers may encounter a customer who asks for help with problem gambling or exhibits signs of problem gambling.
If you suspect a customer needs assistance, you should provide them with the Hoosier Lottery’s Responsible Gaming Brochure, keep it stocked in your play center or on the counter where your players purchase tickets. By keeping this brochure available you can ensure that people who need assistance have information at their fingertips.
If you have questions about responsible gaming reach out to your Lottery Sales Representative, a customer service representative at 1-800-955-6886 24 hours, 7 days a week or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The Hoosier Lottery is
here to help.
As a retailer, you can also help your customers by educating your employees about responsible gaming. Make sure they know the basics of responsible lottery play and how to react when someone expresses the need for help. Employees should be able to communicate to the customer where to find the problem gambling hotline number (1-800-994-8448). The hotline number is part of the responsible gaming logo and printed on nearly all Hoosier Lottery products and materials.
Other ways that you can assist customers to play responsibly are:
- Understanding the odds in a way that you can explain to customers. It is important to remember that lottery games are based on random outcomes. Depending on which game is being played, the odds of winning vary. Due to the random nature of lottery games, it’s impossible to predict what combination of numbers will be drawn for our draw games. Overall odds for scratch-off games apply to the total number of tickets printed for a particular game, not to a consecutive string of tickets. There is nothing that can be done to improve the chances of winning, but a lottery player can decide how much to spend.
- Never sell to children under 18 years of age. Don’t be afraid to ask for identification and use the born by date on the terminal screen for verification.
- Know the Warning Signs of Problem Gambling. Most people who participate in gambling do so responsibly and for entertainment. There is, however, a small percentage of the population population (1% according to studies conducted by www.NORC.org) whose gambling behaviors become damaging to themselves, their family and/or their workplace.
Adapted from NASPL, the signs of problem gambling include:
- Spending more time or money on gambling than able to afford or than planned
- Increased financial problems and debt
- Visiting multiple lottery vendors in one day
- Visiting one lottery vendor multiple times in one day
- Hiding lottery tickets from family
- Neglecting important responsibilities like work, school, or family
- Continuing to play despite relationship troubles
- Constantly thinking or talking about gambling
- Gambling to escape worry or trouble
- Borrowing money to gamble
As a retailer, your responsibility to your customer is to provide them with referral information only. It is up to the customer to take the next step by calling the responsible gaming helpline at 1-800-994-8448.
Learn more about responsible gambling and gambling addiction from the following resources: